Check the Scene - make sure it is safe for you to help the choking victim. Don't become another victim yourself.
Check the Victim - Ask if they are choking. If they can not cough, speak, or breathe, then they need help.
Call for Help - Tell someone to call 9-1-1.
If you are alone with an adult, skip this step until later - it's more important to fix the choking.
Back Blows and Abdominal Thrusts
- Give 5 back blows:
- Stand slightly behind the victim.
- Place one arm diagonally across the victim's chest for support and lean him forward.
- With the heel of your other hand, strike the victim firmly between the shoulder blades.
- Give 5 abdominal thrusts:
- Place the thumb side of your fist just above the victim's belly button.
- Grab your fist with your free hand.
- Pull quick, upward thrusts to dislodge the object.
Repeat Back Blows and Abdominal Thrusts
until the object is forced out, the victim can breathe, or the victim becomes unconscious.